Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Real Food Recipe

I have a deep appreciation for Kelly the Kitchen Kop's blog, she hosts a real food wednesday blog thing. I thought it might be fun to post a recipe that my husband taught me how to make. It is a recipe from his mom, she was russian, it is one of my favorites for a quick weekday meal. So here is the recipe-
Cabbage Beef Fry

1 pound ground beef or pork sausage
1 small head organic cabbage (chopped finely)
1-2 carrots (shredded in the pan)
1 can organic tomato sauce (12 or 16ish ounces) or paste with water
Salt and pepper
Balsamic Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar

How I make it:

I get out a large stainless steel pan, heat it empty for a couple minutes on mediumish, add meat and brown partially, then add finely chopped cabbage, mix well and cover for a couple minutes until meat is cooked. Now comes the challenging part, add a can of tomato sauce or tomato paste with some water. Then shred carrot on top, mix well again. Cover again for a few more minutes then add salt and pepper and a splash or two of vinegar to taste. Stir then cover and let cabbage cook a bit. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. This is delicious served hot with some whole grain bread or not.

I usually eat it plain with some sour cream stirred in, the girls like it with bread and sour cream. It is really yummy and takes about 30 to 35 minutes from start to finish!

Let me know if you like this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment